We thought we were relatively thick skinned when it came to period buildings and their restoration… After 18 months of toil and trouble, we overcame many a challenge, and are delighted to now live here as a family. Indeed, we feel extremely privileged to be part of this special building’s history, and its guardians for future generations.

We bought from our neighbours The Bath Freemasons, who purchased the house along with the then Theatre Royal (now the Masonic Hall) back in 1809 for the princely sum of £25, and had rented it to a myriad of tenants since. So it officially changed hands for the first time in over 200 years when we bought the place. The house and its immediate surroundings are steeped in history. Designed by the “Founder of Bath” architect John Wood the Elder, whose works include the famous Royal Circus, Royal Crescent and Queen Square, 5 Pierrepont Place was built in 1748 on a plot within the former orchard of Bath Abbey.

Luckily, and rather uniquely, we have what must be a complete paper trail history of the building from before its construction, which is displayed in the Hall. John Wood’s signature and wax seal adorn the original vellum deeds, which describe in detail how the house was to be built, from citing the source of the stone, through to the colour the windows and front door were to be painted (our dilemma as to what colour to paint the front door was solved by the discovery of these documents)...