5 Pierrepont Place was built in 1748 on a plot within the former orchard of Bath Abbey. Next door stands the Masonic Hall, which originally was the first Theatre Royal outside London. The Masons acquired this house in 1809 and it then changed hands for the first time since when we bought the place 200 years later. Luckily, and rather uniquely, we have what must be a complete paper trail history of the building, which is displayed in the Hall. John Wood The Elder’s signature and wax seal adorn the original vellum deeds, which describe in detail how the house was to be built, from citing the source of the stone, through to the colour the windows and front door were to be painted. Subsequent deeds, leases, mortgages and other legal documents plot the house and its inhabitants’ history over the years right up to the current owners.
The Elder Suite has a Superking bed which can become twin beds if required. Originally the kitchen of the house, there is a fantastic stone fireplace which would have contained the hearth and bread ovens.